About Me

My photo
Just a Midwestern girl off to LA to live out my nerdy science dream... and hopefully make new friends, have awesome adventures and consume delicious food and beverage in the process...

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Duchess's New Plates

In true Taylor fashion, I have found other productive things to do despite reaching the standstill mentioned in my previous post.  As a result, today The Duchess had a very big day.

It started with her smog test this morning.  She was pretty nervous so I had to drive her around a bit before the test.  :) Actually, surrogate Dad Paul told me that I needed to warm the car up before the smog test so that the readings were accurate.  Anyway, she passed her test with flying colors and then it was off to the DMV.

The CA DMV was actually a pretty pleasant experience.  I made a reservation, I showed up early, and I don't think I waited more than 5 min to be helped at any point during my visit.  The Duchess had her identity verified and then I got my licence and she got her registration.  The annual registration fee is actually less than in Iowa AND I was exempt from tax since I acquired my car as a gift from a blood relation (thanks PaulSale).

Then it was my turn to be examined.  I'm happy to report that I passed my vision exam without my glasses-- keeping me from legally having to wear them every single time I drive.  I also passed my written driving examination despite the fact that I was unaware that it is illegal to smoke when you have a child in the car and that I apparently don't know the sign graphic for "lane ending, merge left".  I mean, come on.  There are usually other contextual clues to help you out there.  Oh, and sorry I give bikers the right of way, I would hate to accidentally hit one of them and in Chicago they do whatever the hell the want anyway... regardless, in 2-4 weeks I will have a new license in hand.  Until then, I have this:



The Duchess was truly the big winner today as we drove away from the DMV plates in hand.  I took her to a car wash as celebratory treat (aka: removal of all the bugs that attacked when driving through STUPID Nebraska) and then we made the switch.




So it's official!  The Duchess and I are California girls!  Cue the annoying song about girls from California of your choosing... personally I prefer the Beach Boys.

1 comment: