About Me

My photo
Just a Midwestern girl off to LA to live out my nerdy science dream... and hopefully make new friends, have awesome adventures and consume delicious food and beverage in the process...

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Not to be wine-y...




... but I have never been a fan of wines made from grapes grown in the Midwest. Call me a snob but they just don't taste good. The climate condones small, sweet grapes and if I wanted that flavor, grape juice is far cheaper (most of the time). One thing I truly love in life is wine; not just because it has a higher alcohol content than beer but because of the complexities in the flavor and the science behind creating the perfect blend (nerd alert).

I started developing my palate (I know, snobby) when I was 20 years old and studying abroad in Australia.

Sydney Uni Wine Society Grape Escape 2006


I joined the Sydney University Wine Society and began going to tastings all semester and eventually on a 3-day "Grape Escape" to the wineries in Mudgee, AU. This is when I really began to enjoy drinking wine and when I was first introduced to the process behind it.



Yes, I will take any excuse to use this pic!
It is my FAV!


Soooooo... all that being said, the Midwest really surprised me yesterday by allowing my mom and me to be a part of the craft by harvesting grapes! Something I have wanted to do FOREVER!







We braved thunderstorm warnings and gravel roads to make our way to Brickyard Hill Vineyard to pick grapes with the crew from Fireside Winery. While we may have been a tad late (Mama likes her Starbucks) we were two of the most eager and enthusiastic volunteers scouring the vines for grapes.





After 4 hours in the vines, we were invited back to the winery for lunch and grape stomping, just missing a HUGE thunderstorm. We ate sandwiches and drank some sweeter-than-I-care-for wine and hopped into the barrel.





Overall, Mom and I agreed that we had a pretty amazing time and it was really cool to see all the people that gave up their Saturday morning for only lunch, a bottle of wine and a t-shirt. I have to give the Midwest credit, the wine may not be my favorite, but the people really take pride in their craft and are running a pretty legit vineyard:


Italy

Oz

Iowa


So, with a tip of the hat to Iowa, I must also say that I CANNOT wait to be only hours away from the best wine regions in the US. California definitely trumps Iowa in the taste department and some of the history behind these vineyards is truly amazing. I'm sure a wine country post will emerge not long after my move Westward. After all, I need lots of practice if I'm gonna have my own winery some day!

1 comment:

  1. I love the journey that you take the reader through and your humor throughout. I gave up drinking, but I can not forego the incredible workings of wine.

    ReplyDelete