About Me

My photo
Just a Midwestern girl off to LA to live out my nerdy science dream... and hopefully make new friends, have awesome adventures and consume delicious food and beverage in the process...

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Graduation Goggles

"Graduation goggles is the nostalgic feeling one has about a time or someone in their life when it is about to end, even if the time was completely miserable." -How I Met Your Mother Wiki

Sweeping declaration: How I Met Your Mother IS the show of our generation.  It is just SO relate-able!  There have been more than a handful of times when I have felt that the show is portraying events that have happened in my life or could be applied to situations in my life.  This is no mere TV sitcom my friends, this is a guide for living life in your mid 20s-30s.  Sometimes a "what to do", and sometimes a "what not to do".  From "nothing good happens after 2AM" to "the mermaid effect" life lessons abound in HIMYM.

Today, we focus on the concept of "Graduation Goggles," defined above. And per HIMYM, it looks a little something like this:



Click here if the video doesn't show... sorry...

 Lately, I have been having Graduation Googgles ALLLLL over Santa Monica.  And honestly, I would not describe my time here as completely miserable (not even close), but there have been frustrating and difficult circumstances. For example, LA traffic, something I have complained bitterly about in the past, had me nostalgic the other day.  I was exiting the 10 on to Lincoln after work and was stopped on the exit ramp in a line of cars.  Right outside my window was the "Welcome to Santa Monica" sign, and as I sat there looking at it, Sarah McLachlan began playing in my head to accompany a sepia toned slide show of the good times in Santa Monica. Riding bikes down the beach, drinking wine with friends, splashing in the ocean after midnight, gatherings on my back patio... all interrupted by honking when I failed to see that I could move forward.  Whoops.

The marine layer has made me nostalgic lately as well.  Which is truly bizarre because this weather phenomena occurs in San Diego as well.  My June has not seemed so gloomy, despite a lack of morning sunshine.  It appears that I have made my peace with the gloom, possibly because after enduring a tropical storm in NYC at Kendall's graduation, I realized that a cloudy sky with no rain is pretty great in comparison.

And graduation goggles for my job?  Not so much honestly.  Maybe that will happen in these next few weeks?  Who knows.

Anyway, my point is that my time here in Santa Monica/Los Angeles is winding down, and perhaps my biggest disappointment is my LA Bucket List.  Whenever I am about to move or leave a place that I have been for a good portion of time, I like to make a bucket list of things to do in order to maximize my time.  I actually started this tradition when I was studying abroad in Australia. It was a wonderful tool, because in my last 1-2 months in Sydney, anytime I found myself in my room with nothing to do, I would pick something off the list and have a mini-adventure.  The bucket list I made for LA is simple and relatively short.  As I have stated before, I feel like I have most of the things I wanted to so since moving here. Regardless, here it is...


LA Bucket List

Food

·         Milo and Olive
·         Stephan’s LA Farm
·         Steingarten
·         The Trippel
·         Ink
·         Mac and Cheese, Red Velvet Cake and Champagne at Shutter’s
·         Tacos Por Favor
·         Hosteria del Piccolo

Activities

·         Hike the Hollywood sign
·         California Saturday? surfing and skiing/snowboarding on the same day if you are unaware
·         Rosenthal Estate Tasting (if possible)- it wasn't I'm out of town and have since quit the wine club... 
·         Griffith Park Observatory



Yep, I have accomplished exactly one item on my list.  One. And in theory, I have about 3 weeks before the move, but, as my father astutely pointed out over dinner on a trip to NYC, in actuality, I am out of town every weekend and I have about 4 weekday evenings- most of which should be spent packing.  So there you have it. My first true bucket list failure.

So, even though I'm on to bigger and better things in San Diego, I am very nostalgic about the life I have made for myself here in Santa Monica. Maybe the bucket list failure is a good thing though.  It leaves me with some unfinished business and gives me more reasons to come back up and see all my LA friends. Especially if I ever get really nostalgic for some good ol' LA traffic on the 405 ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment