About Me

My photo
Just a Midwestern girl off to LA to live out my nerdy science dream... and hopefully make new friends, have awesome adventures and consume delicious food and beverage in the process...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dream Big: 2012 Summer Fun Goals

So far, we are just about half way through June and the gloom has been manageable.  I can only remember one or two days where the marine layer hasn't burned off and even more days where there has been no layer at all!  However, when the gloom sets in, it does make it a bit difficult to get out of bed in the morning...

Regardless, I have decided that in order to take advantage of my first summer on the West Coast (also known as my first summer that feels only moderately warmer than winter), I've set some "goals" that I would like to accomplish:.

Barcycle Ride
So last week, I was driving down Main St. in Santa Monica, and I saw this:


A Barcycle.  It's a bar on wheels that is powered by the patrons pedaling it.  I think I may have seen one of these before in Boulder (?), but that's not really the point.  The point is that I want to take part in this. In Santa Monica. This summer.  Accomplices welcome.  Nay, encouraged.

6/17/12 UPDATE: After looking into the Barcycle, we discovered that there is no alcohol allowed on board. So basically you pay $30 to ride this thing three block down Main St and go to a few bars.  Totally not worth it...


Vino, te amo.
Way back in my first post of substance, I promised that I would be enjoying wine country soon after making my way to California.  That hasn't happened yet, and I can think of no better time to take a drive up PCH to the SoCal wine regions than the summertime.  Thanks to my lovely friends, I believe this trip is already in the works.



Island Getaway
Catalina Island is off the coast of Newport Beach and Huntington Beach down in Orange Country. I hear you can scuba dive, hike, picnic, and pretty much have a perfect day or weekend trip away from LA.  Plus you get there by ferry.  Awesome.


Take me out to the ball game!
As a Chicagoan, hell, as a midwesterner, summer is baseball season.  LA isn't really a sports town, despite the fact that they do have many sports teams. For the past four summers, I have lived within walking distance of a baseball stadium.  In LA, I have yet to lay eyes on Dodger Stadium.  It is FAR away.  And there is no train I can take to get there.  Despite the challenges, I am hell bent on seeing some live action baseball this summer, specifically, my Cubbies.  Fortunately, one of my co-workers is part of a Dodgers ticket share and secured us some tickets for a Cubs/Dodgers game in August.  And you better believe I will go all out in my Cubs gear:
Ok, this is Kendall, but you get the idea ;) 
Withdraw Dough
Speaking of Kendall, remember when we tried to go to the Cupcake ATM? I have still been unsuccessful in making that happen.  Whitney and I tried to pop by when she was out here to visit, by the line was still insane.  This may be my largest challenge of the summer, but I am determined to make it happen.  And hopefully without standing in a ridiculously long line for a Sprinkles cupcake...when the Crumbs down the street is practically empty...


Patio Par-tay
Remember my awesome patio and my love for outdoor gathering space in my homes?


This summer, I am determined to make good use of my space and have people over to enjoy it.  To make this goal more tangible, I will say that I will host one Brunch Bunch gathering at my house, have at least two small evening time cocktail/wine gatherings, and at least three post beach BBQs.


Something new...
I would like to engage in one of the following California-esque activities this summer to broaden my experiences and, more than likely, bring you all a pretty good blog story.  I will either do:

  • Surf lessons (for the third time in my life...)
  • Paddle Boarding
  • Sailing lessons or
  • Trapeze School

Feel free to vote for your choice in the comments!  (Humor me guys, I realize this sounds douchy, but it's also kinda fun!?!? Right!?!)


Pilgrimage to the Homeland
Last but not least, I really want to try to get back to Chicago.  Summertime is making me crave the windy city and even humidity. Just a bit. Not like a lot or anything.  I don't really need the humidity; I need to go to Wrigley. I need deep dish pizza. I need to take a train from the airport to my hotel.  I need to make the bartender at my hotel pay up for all the college basketball bets he lost to me this year. I need to be in the city I feel in love with when I was 7.

I need this.
Timing is tight and there are no weekends that are really standing out to me as perfect.  But, if I want something bad enough, I can make it happen. And making all of these tasks happen will ensure that I have one awesome summer ahead of me! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment