About Me

My photo
Just a Midwestern girl off to LA to live out my nerdy science dream... and hopefully make new friends, have awesome adventures and consume delicious food and beverage in the process...

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Fa La LA-LA Land

Last night, as I drove home from work and up the Lincoln exit ramp off the 10, I noticed a a panhandler, which is pretty typical.  What was atypical was the sign he was holding. It was small and said simply, "Love."  It made me smile and almost give him a dollar.  Almost. I learned in St. Louis that you don't open your car to people on the street... anyway... the point I am actually trying to make is that his sign felt like a perfect way to sum up the holiday season that has just come to a close.

I've officially been in LA for over a year and it's crazy to think about how far I have come in that time. A year ago, I was lamenting the warm, snowless December and trying to navigate my new life.  This year, I was fully embracing the holiday spirit in my new home:

I found a more appropriate place to hang my stocking
I upgraded my tree from last year
And I even added a touch of Mistletoe

 I also embraced typical winter activities with a LA twist, like ice skating in 60 degree weather:




I tried (and kinda failed at...) some new holiday baking ideas:

It was too hard to frost his face...
And I enjoyed a winter bike ride that could only take place in LA:

Manhattan Beach Pier with Christmas Lights


Before I knew it, it was time to head back to Iowa and endure a healthy dose of true winter weather. The time with friends and family was enjoyable and it was refreshing to have a change in weather and see some snow, but I found myself really anxious to be back in LA. Believe me, this is not a typical feeling for me.  I love my apartment and many aspects of Santa Monica, but usually when I am on vacation and spending time with people I don't get to see often, I dread heading back to the West Coast and my adult life.  Probably because most of my trips this past year have been to Colorado, but still, as I left Iowa after Christmas, I felt like I was heading home.  Which was weird.  Good, I guess?  But still, weird.  LA is weird.  And LA is staring to feel like home. Weird. Does this mean I'm weird?  Probably... I'm sure you all knew that though...I digress...

So, upon returning home, I had two days back at work before another quick holiday break for the New Year, which also included a visit from Mark and a trip out to the Channel Islands, one of the most unique National Parks in the US (pictures courtesy of my new camera!!!):

Leaving  Ventura Harbor
Approaching Santa Cruz Island



  
  

Potato Harbor
  



View of Anacapa Island






Friendly Island Fox. Such a majestic creature.

Boarding to head back to the mainland

Sunset over the islands

After a fantastic holiday season, I am feeling lots of love.  And though I'm not too big on resolutions, I'm excited to start the new year with a mind and heart focused on love. This year, I want to let myself love LA instead of resisting it. Spending time on the Channel Islands is a good reminder that Southern California is deeper than it seems on the surface.  I want to make time in my life for the people I love. It's often all too easy to get caught up in your life and lose track of old friends. I'm going to make contact with someone I haven't talked to in a while once every week. Finally, like almost everyone else right now, I want to give my body more love by continuing my yoga, eating healthy food, and maybe decreasing the wine intake.  Maybe.  Not totally sold on that one.

Overall, I want to live a healthy and happy life and focus on taking stock of all the great things that are around me.  The point is, very few of us are completely content with our lives and are looking for something more.  That's OK to an extent; goals and dreams are what push people forward and provide motivation. I don't want to stay in LA forever, but that shouldn't prevent me from enjoying it and loving it now. Regardless of where you want to be in life, I think there is some value in focusing on the now; taking in the moments and appreciating the good things you have at present. You may not be exactly where you envision yourself, but you can still find happiness in what you have and look forward to all the adventures that will take you towards your future.  Be happy now, don't expect it to be a gift that comes with a new job, new relationship, or a new... anything. Happiness comes from within, and this year, I'm making lots of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment